OM MEDITATION MEANING AND BENEFITS, HOW TO START MEDITATING WITH FREE MEDITATION MUSIC
WHAT IS OM?
OM, pronounced “AUM”, is a powerful sound and symbol that has significance in the ancient scriptures from India. It is believed that OM was the first sound of the universe and all creation manifested from the sound of OM. From this powerful root sound vibration, all five elements that make up matter (Space, Air, Fire, Water and Earth) were created.
OM is a combination of three letters A, U and M and covers the full experience of human beings:
“A” represents the physical aspect – the conscious action state,
“U” the mental and intellectual aspect – the sub-conscious mind planning the action, and
“M” represents the deep-sleep state – the unconscious mind.
WHY IS OM CONSIDERED IMPORTANT:
According to existing research, the natural frequency of a human body is approximately 7.5 Hz. In comparison, when OM is chanted, it vibrates and elevates the human frequency to 432 Hz. This is wherein the power of this simple word lies. All nature and the universe around us is vibrating at an energy frequency of – you guessed it – 432 Hz. By vibrating at the same frequency, we synchronize with the higher frequency of everything around us.
- Ancient Vedic Text
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CHANTING OM?
Regular chanting of OM and vibrating at the frequency of nature and the universe puts us into a deep state of self-awareness, clarity of thought, focus and concentration. Going deep in this way helps us find solutions to roadblocks or come up with creative ideas that are not always available to use when we operate at our regular frequencies. A consistent mindful meditation everyday will enhance brain function and overall physical and mental health.
The OM chant is often used to open and close a yoga practice, the chant relieves stress and calms the mind, putting it in a restful state.
Scientific studies on OM suggest that the mental repetition of OM results in physiological alertness, increased sensitivity as well as synchronicity of certain biorhythms, and an increased sensitivity to sensory transmission. (Source: NIH – National Library of Medicine).
HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH MEDITATION?
Here are some simple tips to get started with meditation. The OM mantra is a powerful way to begin:
- Ideally you should do this meditation for at least 7 minutes but you can start with 3 minutes and keep building up on it.
- Choose a quiet and comfortable place where you will not be disturbed.
- Select a convenient time – early morning is the best time to get into a clear state of mind for the day.
- Don’t rush through it. Do every step intentionally, in a calm and relaxed manner.
- Choose a comfortable sitting position. The spinal cord should always be straight during the session. If it feels uncomfortable, you can use a chair or sit against a wall for back support.
- Meditate on an empty stomach.
- Close your eyes. Take a few deep breaths to calm the body & mind.
- Repeat the OM mantra silently.
- Thoughts of other things will immediately pop up. Don’t fight them. The best technique is to just keep going back to the words of the mantra. This will achieve the objective of getting clarity without distracting thoughts always flooding your mind. You can use this technique if you feel distracted or unfocused anytime during the day as well.
- When it’s time, stop repeating the mantra. Take your time to open your eyes very slowly & gently.
- Take your time to come back into your day slowly.
Another extension of the mantra is OM SHANTI which you can try next. It is a chant that calls for peace and can be beneficial to calm yourself during turbulent times.
FREE MEDITIATION MUSIC
You can use this guided OM meditation to get you started with your practice.
VEDIC TIGER PRODUCTS TO CALM THE MIND
Vedic Tiger products to relieve stress and anxiety to accompany your meditation practice:
NIH : National Library of Medicine